Pages

Google+

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

 FDT and ANT | A User’s Guide – Part II

In part one, I showed how to get started with FDT and Ant (live error checking, code hinting, dealing with the JRE error...). Part two is the start of incorporating Ant into your work-flow. I would classify these videos as beginner-ish, and starting to get into intermediate Ant.


I've  recorded these videos in a slightly different fashion from the previous ones.  I've opted for shorter, more focused videos.  I've watched a lot of video tutorials and I generally watch the videos once all the way through, but then revisit them from time to time as a reference.  When watched in this manner, longer videos are a pain.  There might be one trick or tip I am looking for and then I am forced to scrub through a 7 minute video trying to find out where the instructor did 'X'.
The templates I use in this video can be downloaded here. The project I use can be downloaded here.





Here I show how to import an Ant file template, then use that template to quickly create a build file.


After creating a simple build file from a template, I go over what the template's code does, then run it. The template I use is the basis for most of my FDT builds.  It's a build that compiles my .swf, launches the debugger, opens my browser then navigates to my embeded .swf.


In this one I focus on resetting fcsh - how and why.


When editing Ant files in FDT, you actually have code snippets and auto-formatting, similar to what you have when editing Actionscript.  I use the code snippet above and show how to quickly create a .SWC file.